As we age, and our bodies begin to breakdown over time it causes a number of overall health issues. One of the most common age-related issues is the loss in testosterone production – which can lead to quite a few issues that can drastically hamper your quality of life. To prevent these issues, the team at Goals Plastic Surgery offers patients testosterone replacement therapy also known as TRT.
What is TRT?
TRT or testosterone replacement therapy is a medical process by which we are able to help patients to increase their testosterone levels. There are a number of different TRT methods out there, including the use of skin patches, mouth patches, topical gels, body implants, and most popularly the use of injections sent straight to the patient’s bloodstream or intramuscular shots.
Are You a Good Candidate for Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
The best candidates are those who are experience symptoms of low testosterone, including:
- reduced sexual desire
- hot flashes and sweating
- breast development in men (gynecomastia)
- lethargy and fatigue
- reduced muscle mass and strength
- increased body fat, particularly around the abdomen
- weaker erections and orgasms
- reduced amount of ejaculate
- loss of body hair
- reduced bone mass, therefore increased risk of osteoporosis
Side Effects & Risks
For many men, TRT produces mainly positive results such as an elevated mood, increased muscle mass, and sexual benefits. However, there are also a possibility for certain side effects including:
- TRT can worsen those with preexisting heart conditions
- Can cause blood clots for those who are prone to such issues
- Those with sleep apnea can see added symptoms of the illness when using TRT
- Prostate issues for those who are prone to such issues
TRT is generally safe, as long as patients have a full medical workup done, and are screened for a number of different conditions, as these issues might become exasperated with the use of TRT.
For more information on testosterone replacement, be sure to contact Goals Plastic Surgery today.